Skip to main content

School Board Filing Period December 3-5

Posted Date: 11/30/2018

Thumbnail Image for Article 27632

School Board Filing Period December 3-5

Those interested in serving on the Enid Board of Education are encouraged to apply with the Garfield County Election Board this Monday through Wednesday.

Office #2, currently held by Torry Turnbow, is up for election. Turnbow has said she plans to re-file for the seat. See the Board Boundaries 

The Garfield County Election Board is located at 903 Failing. The office is open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. The election is scheduled for February 12. If no candidate receives more than 50% of votes cast, then a run-off election will be held April 2.

Qualifications for the position include:

  1. Must have lived within the district for at least six months prior to the first day of the filing period.
  2. Must have been a registered voter with the county election board at an address located within the geographical boundaries of the district for at least six months prior to the first day of the filing period.
  3. Must have a high school diploma or certificate of high school equivalency.
  4. Special regulations apply to those who have been convicted or pleaded no contest to a misdemeanor involving embezzlement or a felony. Fifteen years must have passed since the completion of the related sentence. Individuals are not eligible to run during a pending appeal of such conviction or plea.
  5. Cannot have a relative within the second degree currently employed by the district, including a candidate’s spouse, child, parent, grandchild, grandparent, brother, sister, spouse’s child, spouse’s grandchild, spouse’s brother, spouse’s sister, spouse’s grandparent, grandchild’s spouse, parent’s spouse or child’s spouse.

Once elected, members of the Board of Education are required to complete – within 15 months of election – at least 12 hours of instruction on education issues, including school finance, Oklahoma education laws and school board-related ethics, duties and responsibilities.

Those interested in filing are encouraged to contact Dr. Sam Robinson, EPS Chief Financial Officer, by calling (580) 366-7000 or visiting 500 S. Independence. Information packets are available.